The name of the Terebinth chewing Gum is associated with the Pistacia Terebinthus tree from which its resin is the natural ingredient used for the preparation of the gum.
The terebinth tree is a deciduous tree and its height reaches up to 16 metres. Clusters of trees can be found in the Paphos District area but specifically in Trimithousa Village, hence it bears the name of the village. Historical sources indicate that several inhabitants of this region were involved in the terebinths trees by extracting from its fruit exported oil and by also making it as dried food. Adding to this, there were also scratches made by ax blows to the trunk of aged trees where the resin was collected and was called “turpentine” in popular language. It was then filtered and processed and therefore produced the Paphian chewing gum. (better known Pissa Pafitiki)
One of the first residents who professionally worked with Paphian Gum was Mr Cleanthes Koupatou (1902-1977).
He slowly and steadily managed to make the Paphian Gum known throughout Cyprus. His right hand in the whole of its course was his daughter Ms Stamatia Charalambous who herself later continued his work of promoting and distributing one of the most pure and genuine products all over /throughout Cyprus.
Over the last 15 years the A&G Charalambous brothers have played a pivotal role in the rehabilitation, expansion and new image of the company who have founded the eponymous company with all relevant legal sanitary and building permits. The zeal and love towards their work which is daily shown, allows them to be optimistic about the future of this product as the reviews received from customers are excellent!